Turns out, I get a corporate discount on an executive gym membership. It’s a good deal and everything is included for myself plus up to four “family” members. So if you were in the market for a gym membership this would be good for you. Now here’s the thing, in theory I want to join the gym. It would be nice to actually attend classes with other adults, have access to a sauna and go swimming regularly. All those things resonate with me. Then there is the reality of the situation. I am exhausted most days and doubt I will actually have/make time to dedicate an hour or more at the gym. And then there are the added costs.
It seems like an easy decision, right. It’s not though. I am torn about what I want to do. So I made a list, which seems kind of ridiculous but seeing it all laid out makes the decision easier.
- There’s a pool. I have been wanting to start swimming again for a long time.
- There are some cool classes I can attend; things like crossfit and body sculpt.
- Up to four other family members can join and get the same discount as I do.
- There are babysitting services.
- There are things like whirlpools, suanas, and weight equipment I don’t have at home.
- Summer is coming and I can build my summer body.
- It works out to more than $600 a year. That’s a lot of money that I could use towards something else.
- If Millhouse joins, then that is over $1200 that can be used towards something else.
- Summer is coming and we are so busy in the summer going on all sorts of adventures, I know I would not, realistically, give up time with the boys to go to the gym.
- My days are so strapped for time; if I wanted to go before work, I would have to leave the house at 6am in order to make it to the gym and then to work on time but Millhouse doesn’t get home from work until 6:30am. So that schedule won’t work. If I wanted to go after work, I would have to leave work at exactly 4:30pm, get to the gym at 5pm, workout for an hour and then get home just as Millhouse is leaving for work. That means no dinner, homework, or bath time with the boys. So that schedule won’t work.
Le sigh. I can’t join the gym. Even though there are more pros than cons, the cons carry more weight than the pros.
Oh well. Maybe next time.