Sheesh things have been busy and not busy and hectic and not hectic. I’ve been busy and lazy and then busy and lazy some more. With all the stuff going on blogging just falls lower and lower on the list of things to do. Blog stuff happens and I say I am going to blog about it and then real life happens and I have to push off the blog post to another day and when I actually have time to write it then it really doesn’t apply to my life anymore so I decide not to write it because it won’t convey the emotion I want it to convey.
So this is my attempt to catch up on a month’s worth of happenings in a short post. Most of it is relevant to things going on right now but a couple may have passed by already but were a pretty big deal.
· Mats lost his first tooth. It was one of those teeth where it just popped out of his mouth while he was at school, no coaxing required. There was no need to tie a piece of string around his tooth and slam a door or anything crazy. There was no real drama associated with him losing his tooth which I am happy about. The tooth fairy showed up like she was supposed to and he was happy and so was I. Sometimes losing you first tooth can be traumatic and other times it is easy. This was an easy one.
· Maks participated in his first judo tournament. He came in second in his weight division. Now there were only two kids in his weight division so they were both guaranteed trophies but he still walked away with something and that was huge. He was nervous at first but as the fights progressed he got more confident. All in all this was a good learning experience for him. He says he wants to do more tournaments because he thinks he will do better next time. And that’s exactly what I am going to do for as long as he wants to.
· Cold weather is upon us. We have had our first polar vortex of the winter and about 25 cms of snow (spread over two different snow storms). I remember now just how much I dislike shoveling snow and it’s only mid-December. It’s not going to be an easy winter like last year. Things are cold and they are probably going to stay that way for a long time which really sucks for me.
· Keeping in the theme of cold weather; we have started our cold weather activities a lot sooner this year than in previous years. We have already been sledding already and only experienced a few sledding related accidents; the sled broke while Maks was barrelling down the hill, and both boys were taken out (by the same kid) as they were hustling to get out of the way at the bottom of the hill and Millhouse fell down the hill trying to save the boys from getting wiped out (by the above mentioned kid) but other than all those things, we survived. And only after just an hour and a half outdoors. Heaven knows what will happen when we spend an entire day outdoors. Next on our list of winter things to tackle is skating. A friend of ours had some spare skates so I have skates now which means I will be going on the ice with the boys and Millhouse this year. Pray for me. Like seriously, say a prayer I don’t break something or fall and bruise my tailbone or anything. I haven’t skated since I was 16 and at my best, I wasn’t particularly good at it and at my worst I was pitifully horrible. So yikes, I am going to give it another go so I can at least say I have gone skating with the boys.
· It’s almost Christmas and we are pretty much ready. The tree is up and the house is mostly decorated. Our nativity scene is MIA somewhere in the garage so this year we will just have to go without one. For the most part we have presents for everyone and the majority of them are wrapped (woo to the freaking hoo!). For us this level of prep is some kind of miracle. Normally by now Millhouse and I are scrabbling trying to decorate or get things wrapped for people or remembering last minute gifts we need to pick up. But I am pretty certain that is not happening this year (fingers and toes crossed).
And that brings you to now.
I am not promising to blog more but I will definitely try. I am off for a week so maybe I can actually get some writing done. Again, no promises.